Friday, October 14, 2011

SPIDERWEBS WITH BUTTON SPIDERS



I have seen versions of these Spiderwebs all over the Internet recently and wanted to create a few, so I made a set!

I started out with three embroidery hoops and three crocheted lace pieces that I found at my local craft store. Here's where you can experiment with the size and shape of your lace. I wanted my circles to line up, so I pulled and stretched the lace from the back until it was taught. Tighten the screw at the top of the hoop with pliers. Trim the extra pieces from the back - I ended up with some perfect scalloped pieces that I plan on using in another project.



To create a more vintage, distressed feel, I used Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Primer in All-Purpose White to partially color the natural tone of the hoops and lace. Once dry, I applied Ranger Stickles in Frosted Lace to accent the spiderwebs.



I created three scary spiders from large buttons I found in my Buttons Galore and More Grandma's Grab Bag stash. Cut a 12" chenille stem in four equal pieces, fold each in half and glue two on each side of the back of the button to create eight legs. Attach colored rhinestone eyes - I used green, orange and purple on my spiders.



Glue each spider on to their web, or hang from a length of black ribbon. Hang your finished spiderwebs by looping a 24" length of black ribbon through each screw at the top of the embroidery hoop.



These spiderwebs with button spiders were really quick and easy to create in just a few hours and would make excellent and inexpensive gifts to give for Halloween.

Thanks for stopping by! -Beth

No comments: