Welcome to the Designer Crafts Connection Blog Hop with Smoothfoam!
Many of us have seen Smoothfoam display in our local Michael's stores, but beyond the normal projects with foam shapes, the Designer Crafts Connection was challenged with creating something "outside the box!" I was thrilled to receive a few different shapes, but was drawn to the 2" by 4" foam rectangles. I have seen alot of 2" by 4" wooden crafting for the holidays, but I don't have access to power tools, so when I saw these rectangles, I knew I wanted to use the Smoothfoam 2 by 4's in the 8" and 12" sizes. Smoothfoam is a great base for a multitude of projects because it can be easily shaped, sanded, painted and decorated to create three dimensional projects without the weight of other materials, like wood.
Here's How I Made It:
- With a serrated kitchen knife, cut the 8" rectangle in two pieces - one 3" and one 5" for the Snow Baby. Cut the first 12" rectangle in three pieces - one 3", one 4" and one 5" for the Snow Momma. Cut the second 12" rectangle in two pieces - one 7" and one 5" for the Snow Daddy.
- Then carve all of the edges off of each piece of foam to create a rustic look. The Smoothfoam bits will get everywhere, so I did this outside over a trash can.
- Now the Smoothfoam won't be so smooth after this step, but the amazing part about this foam is that when rubbed together is sands itself! Using one piece of Smoothfoam as a sanding block, rub your pieces together to smooth out all of the surfaces - amazing!
- Paint all of the pieces with Raw Umber Americana acrylic paint from DecoArt and let dry.
- Paint all of the pieces with Weathered Wood medium from DecoArt and let set for at least one hour.
- Paint all of the pieces with a combination of half Light Buttermilk and half Bleached Sand Americana acrylic paint from DecoArt and let dry to create a crackled finish.
- Decorate your Snow Family with button eyes, scrap paper carrot noses and black seed bead mouths. Snow Baby received decorative buttons and ear muffs made from pom poms and a chenille stem. Snow Momma received a Lamp Black painted hat with ribbon and holly trim, a scalloped paper collar and green buttons. Snow Daddy received a Lamp Black painted top hat with craft foam brim, ribbon and snowflake trim, a paper bow tie and red buttons.
- Use simple toothpicks to attached the Smoothfoam blocks together for a finished display!
Now make sure to click on the DCC link in my right sidebar to hop through and see the other DCC designers projects using Smoothfoam, as well as, a chance to enter to win a prize package from Smoothfoam consisting of the snowman kit below and more!
To enter to win, leave a comment about their favorite projects on the designer’s blog and say what you would make with Smoothfoam. The more often you comment the more chances you have to win. All the projects will be posted on Pinterest, so readers can comment there too. The winner will be announced on our Facebook Page at http://www.facebook.com/DesignerCraftsConnection on November 19th.
Thanks for stopping by! -Beth