Monday, November 5, 2012

DESIGNER CRAFT CONNECTION - FIRST MONDAY IN NOVEMBER

This month's theme is THANKFULNESS!
 
I cannot believe that another year has almost come and gone!  I have alot to be thankful for this year - I am heathly and surrounded by a loving family and wonderful friends, so I considermyself lucky as well!
 
Since both sides of my family get together for a big meal every Thanksgiving, I always like to make some kind of interactive project - a centerpiece or a banner - that brings everyone together and gives us the opportunity to reflect upon what we are all thankful for.
 
This year I have created a THANKFUL BANNER and each family member can write on a leaf what they are thankful for!
 
 
Here's How I Made It:
  • Gather a variety of Autumn themed patterned papers and embellishments.  All of the supplies that I used were items that I already had on hand!  Most were from a Making Memories kit that I purchased at Michael's several years ago.
  • Sketch out 4 or 5 different leaves on to cardboard, then traced them on the patterned papers and cut out with scissors.  You can also use a die and a die cutting machine if you have one.
  • I crumpled all of my leafs, then flattened them back out and inked them with Tea Dye Distress Ink by Ranger.
  • Cut a section of ribbon the same length as the banner you want to make, then sew the leaves on to the ribbon with a sewing machine.
  • Spell out the word THANKFUL in chipboard letters - mine had a brown velvet finish and I added colored, self adhesive pearls to make them stand out.
  • Decorate the rest of your banner with the variety of embellishments you have gathered - I used glittered swirls, fabric covered brads, felt pumpkins and acorns, along with colored pearls and rhinestones.  Some of my embellishments were self adhesive, but for the others I used Aleene's Tacky Glue from iLoveToCreate - I just LOVE that glue!
I will hang mine on the mantle on Thanksgiving Day and each family member can write their Thankful Message on a different leaf with their name and the date.  This will become a Family Keepsake that I am sure will adorn my mantle for many years to come!
I hope you enjoyed my project today!
 
 
To view all of the other projects from the rest of the Designer Craft Connection group please use the HOP FORWARD and HOP BACK navigation in the DCC Icon in my right hand tool bar and ENJOY!
Thanks for stopping by! - Beth
 


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great idea! Love the leaves!

Terry Ricioli Designs said...

The sparkly blue swirls are a nice touch against the fall leaves!

Michelle Frae Cummings said...

2beautiful wreath!

Lorine Mason said...

Thought I left a comment but more than happy to leave another. Great color and great pattern combination