Thanks for stopping by for the DESIGNER CRAFTS CONNECTION January Blog Hop! This month's theme is new techniques.
I worked with these Gelatos from the Faber Castell Design*Memory*Craft line at the CHA Summer Show and then I picked some up in several different color families at Michael's to play with them. I was looking around my studio for a surface and saw four rolls of masking tape that I had on hand from another project and thought that the tape would make a versatile surface. I also had some small blank books on hand, so decided to create some colorful journals.
Here's how I made it:
- Lay out several lengths of masking tape on a workable surface. I used my Inksentials Craft Sheet from Ranger.
- Next, just start scribbling - what fun! I mixed and matched colors, then misted the maksing tape with water and blended with the paint brush included in the Gelatos Mix & Match set.
- Keep layering and blending until you get the effect you are looking for. This was actually extremely fun and relaxing! Crafting as therapy - LOVE IT! I blotted some strips with a paper towel and others with my paint brush, but I think that they all look like faux leather!
- Once all of the masking tape strips are colored and dry, measure your book cover (or surface of your choice) and cut to length.
- I used the widest strip of masking tape on the spine of the book, so I had enough to wrap around the front and back covers. Cut a small "V" at the folds of the book and wrap the edges of the masking tape in on inside of the front and back covers.
- Lay out different colors and widths of the colored masking tape until the front and back covers are completely covered. Make the final piece of masking tape wide enough to wrap around the inside edge of the book. Cut the tape at an angle, so the finished edge is as neat as possible. Then burnish all surfaces with a bone folder (or old credit card) to smooth out and bubbles and create a good adhesion to the surface of the book.
- Using the Stamper's Big Brush Pen in Black I inked the clear stamps that came with the Gelatos Mix & Match set and stamped the Damask and Flower pattern on the front cover of my journal books. I found that the stamping worked better on the masking tape if I lightly misted the stamp after I inked it with the Big Brush Pen.
- The last step is to measure, cut and adhere a coordinating paper to the inside front and back covers to hide all of the tape edges and finish the Journal.
I am going to be giving out these mini Journals out this New Year to family and friends! They are the perfect size to carry in your purse for important notes and ideas!
Now you can HOP AROUND and see what other new techniques the rest of the Designers are sharing with everyone today. Just click on the HOP FORWARD and HOP BACK buttons in the DESIGNER CRAFTS CONNECTION icon on the right hand side task bar. HAPPY HOPPING!
Thanks for stopping by! -Beth