I was excited to see my crafty friend Rebekah Meier launch a new line of stencils with The Crafter's Workshop at CHA 2014.
Here is some insight in what inspired Rebekah to create these stencils:
"Most of my stencils are collage in style. Collage being my favorite medium, whether in paper, fabric or both combined. My other stencils are inspired by circles and Mandalas (I love the art form) designs. Mandalas for those not wanting to draw their own. I sent four 6" mandala inspired stencils to nine of my creative friends. Be sure to visit each of their sites, I can assure you each designer's creation will be awesome, unique and varied in their mediums. I can't wait to see what they come up with."
Materials & Supplies:
- Rebekah Meier Designs Stencils by the Crafter's Workshop - Ring Doily, Rosetta, Stained Glass, Byzantine.
- Americana Paints by DecoArt - Winter Blue, Slate Grey, Neutral Grey, Charcoal Grey.
- Golden - Soft Gel Medium, Molding Paste.
- Tim Holtz Idea-ology - Tissue Wrap - Melange.
- Ranger Ink - Liquid Perfect Pearls - White Opal.
- Aleene's® Original Tacky Glue® from I Love To Create.
- Delta Repositionable Stencil Adhesive Spray from Plaid.
- Canvases - 6" by 6" (four).
- Scissors, Paint Brush, Paper Towels, Rag, Paper Plate (to use as a Palette), Grey Ribbon, plastic Palette Knife..
Decoupage Tissue Wrap Melange to each canvas using Golden Soft Gel Medium, set aside to dry. Spray Repositionable Stencil Spray on back of each stencil and attach to canvas. I positioned mine off the edge to create interest.
Randomly spread Golden Molding Paste over surface of stencils.
Covering entire surface of each canvas completely.
Immediately, peel back the stencil gently. Wash stencil off with warm water. Set canvases aside to dry completely.
Place a small amount of Winter Blue on paper plate and dilute with water. Brush randomly over top surface and sides of each canvas. Remove excess with paper towel.
Repeat with Slate Grey paint, let dry.
Repeat with Neutral Grey paint, let dry.
Final coat is with Charcoal Grey paint. Make sure to get into recessed areas, let dry for a few minutes, then remove excess paint from surface with paper towel.
One Canvas One, highlight areas with Liquid Perfect Pearls using the tip of your index finger to spread on to surface randomly. I love the shimmer that this step gives the canvases - it looks like metal showing through!
Repeat on Canvas Two...
And Canvas Four...
Once dry, apply grey ribbon to canvas edges using Tacky Glue to secure.
I love working in mixed media because there are no rules and there are no mistakes! If you don't care for the way one of your canvases looks, then just paint over that area and start again - LOVE IT!
Please click on the links below to see what the other Designers have created with Rebekah Meier Designs Stencils!