June is here, the kids are done with school and Summer is just around the corner!
It is the first Monday of the month once again and the Designer Crafts Connection is back with a creative blog hop loaded with tons of inspiration because our theme is HAPPINESS IS...
This theme swings open the doors of creativity and allows each Designer to showcase a craft or project that makes us HAPPY!
Now on to my project:
My happiest crafting projects are those that I can just create - they are not for a particular design team or magazine submission - they are just pure, wild and free!
I live in sunny Southwest Florida and some weekends are spent at the beach. On a trip last year to Upper Captiva Island (which you can only get to by boat) we walked on the beach and collected shells. I have collected shells from all over and they live in a dish on my coffee table. I decided to feature several whole gems that I have found and decided to create a canvas shadow box to showcase them.
Materials and Supplies:
- Pre-stretched Canvas - 12" by 24"
- One conch shell, one sand dollar and one starfish - each approximately 2" wide
- Sea Glass Scrapbook papers and chipboard shapes from K & Company
- Vintage Lace - three 12" lengths
- Ribbon - half inch wide - 72" long (2 yards) I used a light green
- Crepe Paper Streamer - four 24" lengths in White
- Glimmer Mist Spray Mists - turquoise, patina, olive vine, mallard from Tattered Angels
- Distress Ink Pad in Tea Dye from Ranger
- Square Jewelry Boxes - card board style available at craft stores. Three box bottoms 3" by 3"
- Kool Tak Premium Extreme - 1/2" wide, Foam Adhesive Pads 1/4" by 1/4"
- Aleene's® Original Tacky Glue™ from ilovetocreate.com
Pencil, ruler, decorative edge punches, craft knife, three small shells, three small starfish, self adhesive rhinestones and pearls, gorilla tape.
1. Measure 6" in from the left edge and draw a line down the center of the canvas. Measure in 4 1/2" from left edge, draw a line down the length. Measure in another 3" and draw a line down the length. Measure down 4" from the top edge and draw a line across the canvas. Measure and draw lines across at 3", 3,5", 3", 3.5", 3" and 4". Draw an X through each of the three 3" by 3" squares. Carefully cut each X with a craft knife and secure the backside of the triangles to the inside of the jewelry box with Tacky Glue. Secure on the backside of the canvas with gorilla tape.
2. Measure and cut three squares that are 5" by 5" from scrapbook paper. Cut a 2" long diagonal slit at each corner, fold and insert in to each box to dry fit. Attach with Premium Extreme to secure. Spray mist four lengths of crepe paper streamer in each of the four colors, let dry.
3. Measure 16 to 18 different scrapbook papers between 3" and 4" wide. Cut, tear and punch in random patterns. Distress papers and edges with Tea Dye Ink. Layer and dry fit the papers until pleased with the configuration. Starting at the bottom, secure each layer of paper and crepe paper with Premium Extreme.
4. Embellish the canvas with lace, chipboard shapes, seashells, starfish, rhinestones and pearls. Attach the conch shell, starfish and sand dollar with Foam Adhesive Pads. Trim edge of canvas with ribbon attached with Premium Extreme.
Hang and enjoy your beachy memories!
I hope that you have enjoyed my post for today! Now you can HOP around to all of the DCC Designers to see the HAPPINESS IS... themed projects they have created! Just use the navigation box on the right hand side of my blog to hop forward or hop back!
Thanks for stopping by! -Beth