Tuesday, October 30, 2012

CRAYON MELT ART PUMPKIN

Having seen crayon melt art all over Pinterest on everything from Mason Jars to Canvases, I wanted to try this technique on a Foam Craft Pumpkin.



Here's how I made it:
  •  Purchase a Foam Craft Pumpkin of your choice at your local craft store - I selected a small white pumpkin from Michael's.
  • Gather crayons - I used reds and oranges - unwrap the crayons and break into approximately 1" long pieces.
  • Place your pumpkin on a base of newspaper or an old catalog.  NOTE:  I use mail order catalogs for these types of messy projects and they make great paint palettes as well - just start in the center and peel off the pages as you use them!
  • Glue the pieces around the stem of the pumpkin with Aleene's Original Tacky Glue from iLoveToCreate - I love this glue and use it for everything!
  • Most online tutorials used a hair dryer, but I used my Inkssentials Heat It Craft Tool from Ranger.  Once the crayons began to melt I used a pair of craft tweezers to rotate and move the melting pieces of crayon around the top of the pumpkin to get complete coverage.
  • I let the first coat of red crayon dry and then repeated the process with orange crayon. 
  • Make sure that you don't hold the Heat It Craft Tool too close to the pumpkin or all of the colored crayon wax will melt away and form a puddle at the base of your pumpkin.  When this happened to my project, I peeled the extra crayon off the bottom of the pumpkin and re-melted it around the top.
A quick and easy craft - peeling the paper off the crayons took the longest!  Entire project took 10 minutes.

I love how this turned out, so I'm going to try it out with the kiddos tomorrow!

Thanks for stopping by!  -Beth

1 comment:

Keto Recipes said...

Great reading your blog posst